Monday, October 20, 2008

The Good, The Bad and The Disappointing

I have been listening to The Other Queen, Philippa Gregory's new historical fiction, and I have to say that I am very disappointed. The narrators are great but the book itself was not what I expected and I find my mind wandering.

I am a fan of The Other Boleyn Girl and The Constant Princess but the things I like best about these books (the dialog, the historical detail of dress and royal tradition) I do not see in The Other Queen. I think I will return the book on cd, as there are a number of holds on it, and take out something entirely different: World War Z. Maybe Halloween is getting me in the mood for zombie stories.

I am also reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I cannot link this book to our catalog because it does not come out until April, 2009. Morton's first book, The House at Riverton, is a great read. It is part historical fiction, part modern fiction, and beautifully written (I have reviewed this book here). The Forgotten Garden is just as great! I am happy that Morton is not a one-book wonder. Her mysteries are complex and have satisfying endings, her books are literary genre-mixers that keep the twists coming and the pages turning.

3 comments:

ADW said...

you could also put the remaining book on your ipod and finish it later?? my mom returned The Life of Pi before finishing it and missed the best ending ever written (my opinion of course). I'm a fan of finishing the book, even if it sucks.

Anonymous said...

World War Z Rules! So does The Zombie Survival Guide :)
It's not as much fun as world of warcraft but close ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey - I returned the Life of Pi too before I got to the end...now I may have to go get it again and read the last chapter!