Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Who doesn't love a good bibliomystery?

Bibliomysteries are mysteries that involve books or book sellers (usually antiquarian). Two of my favorites are The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (which was given to me by my friends Heidi and Sascha for my birthday). Bibliomysteries that I am excited to read soon include:

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

A bibliomystery that I did NOT enjoy and do NOT recommend is The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay (and I was so excited about this book because the author used to work at the Strand Bookstore in NYC and used her experiences there. It started out interesting but just got weird and boring).

There are also a number of bibliomystery series. Marianne Macdonald's Dido Hoare series is so much fun ... and at the end of the book you don't have to leave the characters forever!

Dido Hoare series by Marianne Macdonald

Cliff Janeway series by John Dunning

Mobile Library Mysteries by Ian Sansom

Thursday Next series by Jasper Fford

Cotton Malone series by Steve Berry

Red Lion series by Yxta Maya Murray

2 comments:

Charlie Bone said...

Good list! Also try The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. It later became a bad Johnny Depp movie (the Ninth Gate), but the book was great.

"Lucas Corso, middle-aged, tired, and cynical, is a book detective, a mercenary hired to hunt down rare editions for wealthy and unscrupulous clients"

Charlie Bone said...

OK. One more - since it ranks on my all-time favorite books. AND I have recommended it to Bethany the Librarian before :)


The Shadow of the Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Let's hope Johnny Depp stays away from this one.