Friday, January 11, 2008

Welcome to Bethany the Librarian's Blog!

I am a librarian at Harborfields Public Library in Greenlawn, New York and Rogers Memorial Library in Southampton, New York. This blog is part experiment and part reading log. I hope to learn how to be a better blogger, better librarian and perhaps inspire some more reading out there with some book reviews.

The reading club at RM library (which has yet to be named ... any suggestions??) will be discussing Waiting by Ha Jin. While I enjoyed Ha Jin's writing style and simple yet beautiful descriptions, I found the plot and nearly every character to be frustrating and depressing. I just kept Waiting for the book to end. That being said, I will try another of Ha Jin's books in the future. Should be an interesting discussion!

I just began Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, suggested by RM librarian Margaret. I'm already getting completely drawn into the time and place with the language, descriptions of old English castles and crumpets. du Maurier is a new author to me. She had an interesting life - check out her wikipedia biography.

During my travel time between the two libraries, I am listening to Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I have a soft spot in my heart for Mr. King since we went to the same college - University of Maine at Orono. Mare Winningham, the woman reading the book, is doing a nice job. King tends to put a lot of stream-of-conscience thoughts in parenthesis within dialog or descriptions so poor Mrs. Winningham has to go from southern accent to french accent to crazy-old-man accent quickly. The story was a little slow to start but now I can't wait to hop in the car and listen. This one is not as gruesome as some of his can be. It is more of a psychological scary story but, boy! It keeps me up at night on that ride home!!

More updates to come!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Bethany!! I work with Bethany on many Friday nights at Harborfields and she rocks. And I still think you should name the book club "Books R Beachin" which would fit well with that community out East.
Over and out Bethany...

BC

Unknown said...

Hooray for this blog! I'm most excited to read your book reviews and make a list of books to read. And by the way, I LOVE the "Books R Beachin'" idea. I want to be secretary.

Unknown said...

A-Hem. That was HEIDI that left that comment, not Sascha. Ok, end message. Over and out.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written book reviews, Miss Bethany. I look forward to more!!

Anonymous said...

Here's a converstaion starter. Sarah likes looking at people's shoes! Awesome...

Brian (BC)