Sunday, January 13, 2008

I love Alison Weir

I accidently picked up a book called The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir when I was in high school. It was the first non-fiction book that I read cover to cover and enjoyed as if it were fiction. Weir is a great writer but her books can be lengthy with periods of dry spells - however, if you have an interest in the history of English royalty than she is your best bet. She has some other great titles, like The Life of Elizabeth I and the Princes In the Tower, but just recently she published her first ever historical fiction! It is called Innocent Traitor and it is the life of Lady Jane Grey, a brilliant and educated girl who became queen (for nine days) due to her parent's finagling and was beheaded at age 16. This book was so much fun and so well researched. It reminded me of some other great historical reads about fascinating women:
Passionate Minds: The Great Enlightenment Love Affair by David Bodanis (about Émilie du Châtelet - a genius and Voltair's mistress)
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (Through the eyes of Anne Boelyn's sister Mary, how the two of them seduced Henry VIII). Movie coming soon!
Little House on the Praire series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I re-read this every few years. An amazing life story.
Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford (poet from Maine. Milford also wrote a biography called Zelda, about the wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald).
Frida: A Biography of Frida Kahlo by Hayden Herrera (Keep a big book of her paintings by your side. Amazing paintings, amazing woman.)

I'm sure there is more ... I'll have to go browse my home library.

PS I hope everyone knows what I mean when I say Long Island Reads! If not, you missed a great book and a lot of great events last year, including an amazing talk by James McBride, the author of last year's pick, The Color of Water. Well, there is plenty of time to jump on the LIReads bandwagon this year. We picked Aloft by Chang-rae Lee. This is a beautiful and quiet book about family and about Long Island. I found myself reading entire sections outloud, to whomever would listen. So please go borrow a copy from your library and read it. Then get ready for April! Chang-rae Lee is going to speak and sign books! Check the LIReads website for updates!

No comments: