Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Rebecca: Book of the Month!

I just loved Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. This book - originally published in 1938 - lets you escape to a time with no cell phones, televisions or Internet but still reads like a "modern" suspense novel. Mysteries set in this time period are completely different from any mystery set today due to technology. I feel the suspense and the sense of loneliness and desperation can be greater. Plot descriptions and art work for most of the editions make the book appear to be a romance but I would NOT call this book a romance. It is a suspense/mystery set in an old Cornish estate called Manderley. The descriptions of the rooms, the servants, the afternoon tea, the grounds and the ocean beyond had me so deep into the story that I lost huge spans of time. The mystery is intriguing and the answer is satisfying; although I wish there were just a few more pages at the end ... we are left wondering what happens to some characters.
I am impressed with Daphne du Marier's writing and look forward to reading more by her. There is also a biography (with fabulous photos) by Margaret Forster called Daphne du Maurier : the Secret Life of the Renowned Storyteller that I would like to read.

No comments: