Thursday, February 26, 2009

oh NO you di'nt!

My MAINE guy, Stephen King, was doing an interview with USA Weekend earlier this month and he totally dissed Stephenie Meyer. Kim, from our Teen Department, rushed down to reference to insist I blog about it. She is also considering pulling all of Stephen King's books off the shelves. Here is what has got all the teenage Twilighters online abuzz:

"The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn," he said. "She's not very good."

But it wasn't just Stephenie ...

King declared Perry Mason author Erle Stanley Gardner "terrible," Dean Koontz "sometimes…just awful," and James Patterson "a terrible writer" who is nonetheless "very very successful."

I saw Stephen King, J.K. Rowling and John Irving read from their works a few years ago. They seemed to be good buddies, and Stephen King had a great comment (I don't know the exact quote - but something like "Rowling writes books that get kids ready for the books Irving and I write.") I don't think he has an issue with overhyped authors, just bad writing. King is a very well read man (and he doesn't just write horror - try On Writing) and I actually trust his opinion. And, I admit, I have not yet read the Twilight books. For shame.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I LOVED "On Writing." I haven't read the Twilight books either, and I probably won't.

Anonymous said...

King is right -- her writing is just not that good, The Host was painful to get through!