Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Neil's Newbery!

I nearly drove off the road this morning when I heard on the radio that Neil Gaiman had received the Newbery Medal for The Graveyard Book. I am a huge fan of Neil and he has won numerous awards in the past - but mostly sci-fi or graphic novel related. The Newbery - as he said in an interview - is like winning the Nobel or an Oscar. It is extremely prestigious.

I met Neil when he was on tour for his last collection of short stories, Fragile Things, and he said my favorite quote of any author at any signing. Someone from the audience asked about his tendency to wear dark colors and Neil responded that he liked his clothes to be "a reassuring shade of black."

This comes at a perfect time for Neil. Another children's book that he wrote to great reviews will be released as a movie on February 6. Coraline the book is a great read-aloud (as it the Graveyard Book) and Coraline the 3D movie will be showing soon! I will be in New York City that weekend for Comic Con so I may just slip into a late showing of Coraline after a day of rubbing shoulders with Art Spiegelman, Bryan Lee O'Malley and Brian Wood.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great minds think alike! we're actually reading the graveyard book outloud... just started a couple days ago

Anonymous said...

the book was pretty good and had good appeal.

How is everything Beth?

Book Mama said...

I can't wait to read this....it is on my vacation list!

Anonymous said...

so im a little slow, but i just read on neil's blog yesterday that he won the newberry and i got all warm and fuzzy inside. it makes me feel cool that i can say "i liked neil way back when..." i like how neil just gets better and better with age...i can think of a certain red-head who would be wise to learn from her buddy. oi!