Tuesday, April 8, 2008

HELP! I'm Drowning in Hardcovers!

I think I'm so smart.
One of the (many) privileges of being a librarian is hearing about new books before they are published. We go through a number of professional journals and preorder books on a weekly basis. Then, you can request these books on your personal library card so you are usually first on the list when they arrive. Smart, right?

This is how I end up with 5 books, all due in 7 days, that I desperately want to read.

I was only on page 18 of People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks when The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman arrived in my inbox. Meanwhile, The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir is on it's way, along with Quakeland by Francesca Lia Block. It's very exciting to have all these amazing authors publishing, but do they have to all do it within the same month??

Last night was our monthly book discussion. As part of Long Island Reads, we discussed Aloft by Chang-rae Lee. It was a fabulous discussion, with some members loving the book and others not liking it much at all. That always makes for the best debates. The author event is Saturday, at Farmingdale Public Library. If anyone on Long Island or elsewhere wants to hear Chang-rae Lee speak and get your book signed, I have extra tickets!

After the event, the Long Island Reads Committee will be compiling a list of books for next year's pick. If anyone knows a great Long Island author or a book that would represent our whole island, send along the suggestions!

I'm off to read now.

No comments: