Tuesday, April 22, 2008


I just finished a book recommended to me by my friend Heidi. It's called The Man Who Fell In Love With The Moon by Tom Spanbauer and it's quite a journey. It is not a book I would normally pick up and during the first couple of pages I kept thinking, "How am I going to tell Heidi that I just can't finish this strange book?" But then it sucked me in. The writing is not only stream-of-conciousness, but it is coming from a charector with a limited vocabulary, so it is hard to read at first. Once you get in the groove, in the guys head, it becomes easier. It's hard to classify - it is set in 1890-1900s Idaho, mostly in a brothel, with the main charector being a "half-Indian" bisexual. I guess I would say it felt like Tom Robbins was writing Tipping the Velvet. I'm so glad she made me read it*.


*I must be careful recommending this book, however. It is VERY sexual - be warned. The cover should have a "explicit language" sticker!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you gave it a chance. It is a book that certainly sucks you in to its bizarre yet honest journey. Along with the "explicit language" sticker, it should also have a Freudian warning or something. :)