Monday, September 8, 2008

The London Book Tour '08

I'm back! I had an amazing two weeks in London. I bought a pair of shoes, went to museums, took a bus to Kent but mostly I tracked down bookshops, libraries and other literary places.
We stayed right down the road from Charing Cross Road, the place where the bookstore from 84 Charing Cross Road was and still the home of many, many bookstores (both independent and not - lots of used, rare and specialized but also the home of Borders).


Needless to say, I bought a few books.


I visited the British Library,

a library in Leeds castle (Kent)

and the Art Library at the Victoria and Albert Museum.

At the Tower of London I saw words carved into stone hundreds of years ago

and at Shakespeare's Globe I saw some of his works, hundreds of years old.

In Leister Square I came across a beautiful statue

and somewhere in London I bumped into Oscar Wilde! ... well, a statue of him.

I'll have more London stories later!

1 comment:

Book Mama said...

It looks like the perfect vacation....all those books!