Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wolfes in the library

Let me tell you - the best time to come do some quiet work in the library is the evening before a holiday. The place is a tomb. I am sitting here, ironically, reading the fabulous book In The Hamptons: My Fifty Years with Farmers, Fisherman, Artists, Billionaires, and Celebrities by Dan Rattiner. All is quiet except a patron or two taping away at a keyboard and the murmering of voices in the lobby. We have a monthly art opening, where patrons can meet the artist of that month's exhibit and snack on crackers and cheese (which is otherwise illigal!). As I pass by the gathering on my way to circulation, Mr. X from the board of trustees says, "Hello Beth!" He is speaking with a tall man dressed in a white suit. "Hello" I wave back to the men.

Back at my desk, a regualar patron stops by. "Hey! Did you know Tom Wolfe just left?" he asks me.

It's never a boring night at the library!

No comments: