Thursday, July 10, 2008

I spy .... books

During a lovely visit to NYC I saw polar bears at the Central Park zoo, a man looking at a $32,500 diamond ring at Tiffanys, and people reading books. Everywhere. My favorite thing to do in NYC (along with the zoo and Tiffanys) is to sneak peeks at what people are reading. I admit - I do it everywhere I go - but it is the most interesting in big cities. I suppose that is because of the diversity of the people and their reading tastes but also because they have nearly every book available to them. Between the Barnes and Noble on every corner, to the world famous second-hand and rare bookshops, to the department store-sized comic book stores (we checked out Cosmic Comics and Jim Hanley's Universe), not to mention the incredible New York Public Library system, New Yorkers have their pick of books.

In my travels, I saw the ticket taker at the zoo reading a V.C. Andrews, a teen on the subway reading The Sign of Four (and another teen with a book in his short's pocket - I couldn't see what it was!), and a woman on the street reading A Thousand Spledid Suns (really, standing on the street. Waiting for someone, maybe?).

No comments: