Wednesday, March 26, 2008

You think our fines are steep...

So I'm listening to Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko while driving to work this afternoon. The main charector, Matthew "Moose" Flanagan, lives on Alcatraz in 1935 with his family. His father is the prison electricion. Moose is trying to impress the other students in his new school with terrorizing tales of Alcatraz.
"That's the thing about the cell house library," I say, "it's a high-risk operation."
"Really?" a girl asks.
"Books are overdue," I explain, "they lock you up. They have a special cell for it. Overdue library book cell. If it's more than ten days overdue, they put you in the hole. Solitary confinement."
"No kidding?" the fat kid asks. I can see him fingering his library book, which I'm guessing is past due.
"Oh, yeah," I say.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this book! It's so well written. I have such empathy for Moose and his entire family. For Natalie because of how people looked at her and treated her. And for Moose - he had such a burden of responsibility that should not have been placed upon him.
It's funny, touching, historical, and entertaining.

Beth the Librarian said...

You said it! I couldn't agree more. I just recommended it to our YA dept. for a book discussion.

Anonymous said...

Awesome book, very well done and I recommend to all.
Moose thinks he has a cool nickname but nothing beats mine- the Iceman!!

PS- I sit here working my last night with Bethany and I am totally depressed. Bethany, where art thou Bethany. Don't go!!!!

Brian "Iceman"