Sunday, February 24, 2008

Spend a night with The Lobster

With both of my libraries closed due to snow this Friday there was only one thing to do ... stay in bed and read a book. Well, a novella.



Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan is the perfect read for a winter's day. Like snow, the book is quiet and beautiful yet completely ordinary. The 146 pages cover one day - the last day - at a Red Lobster in Connecticut. Manny, the manager, has worked for the restaurant for 10 years and he is loyal and honest. Despite his years of hard work, corporate has informed him that "his" restaurant will be closing four days before Christmas. Struggling to follow the rules, serve his customers and set an example for his employees, Manny is like so many workers who give their all to a company only to be let go.

This is the first book I've read by Stewart O'Nan and I was impressed with the everyday details that made such a short book so rich. We can all relate to Manny. The mundane details that he busied himself with day after day became his life. And despite his efforts, they were taken away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can thing of another thing you could have done on that snowy day!! JOIN YOUR PALS FOR A DAY IN THE CITY!!!! Kidding, sort of.

Thanks for having us B&J, we had such a great time!
We had a smooth drive home and enjoyed finishing The Other Bolyen Girl. What was the other historical fiction book you were telling me about??

PS- you should link my dad's blog to yours!! (For all the readers who like nice jewelry

Beth the Librarian said...

Ha ha, making me feel guilty via my blog ... very nice. The other book is the Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir. It was great to see you guys too.

Anonymous said...

I still have to read this, and spy girl and 1602 and finish the miranda july book ... but i read up on your blog and linked it to my myspace page. :) ... im off to do my honey do list now. xo