Friday, February 29, 2008

Hungry? Browse the nonfiction stacks

A librarian friend of mine (who has his own club for librarians who like to eat out ... the dinarians) ... is reading a book about a waitress in New York City. It looks great and it reminds me of other culinary nonfiction titles that I would like to sink my teeth into.
1. For Service Included: Four-Star Secrets of an Eavesdropping Waiter by Phoebe Damrosch head to 647.95 Dam
2. If you are picky, try Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise by Ruth Reichl at 41.5092 Rei
3. If you are brave enough for Kitchen Confidential : Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain look at either 641.509 Bou or possibly in Biography
4. For a crime to wine story, read Cooked : From the Streets to the Stove, From Cocaine to Foie Gras by Jeff Henderson at 364.1 Hen or Biography.
5. For a more classic culinary tale, My Life in France by Julia Child. This one should be in Biography.
All this reading makes me hungry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kitchen Confidential was a little rough but interesting. Cooked was a great rags to riches story - excellent choices, Beth the Librarian!

Sarah said...

What about books like "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, or "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser? Or are those to much of an expose on food itself, and not so much the food critic or restaurant employee?
I have not yet read the aforementioned books... but I fully intend to :)

Beth the Librarian said...

Wonderful suggestions my friend! Fast Food Nation I have read and it is amazing. I would clump that with maybe food activism ... along with My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki (which is one of my top ten books of all-time) but it is fiction.