Wednesday, April 8, 2009

“After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colors of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer’s breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer - perhaps more.”
This was a new approach; I mulled the idea around in my head.
“Really?” I replied, slightly doubtfully.
“Of course!” Snell laughed. “Surf pounding the shingle wouldn’t mean diddly unless you’d seen the waves cascade onto the foreshore, or felt the breakers tremble the beach beneath your feet, now would it?”
“I suppose not.”
“Books” - Snell smiled - “are a kind of magic.”

From The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde.

2 comments:

Book Mama said...

pumpkinhead, kilt = magic. I just love Jasper Fforde

Heidi said...

Ahhh! alskjflaksjdflajs;lakjsd!!! I knew you'd get an advanced copy!!! Your review makes me very excited for April 30th. Yay!