Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm glad I made a difference....

Well, it's been a month since I gave a lecture and tour of our local history collection. We had 8 patrons attend (as many as the room will comfortably hold). I went over resources, how to search them, and how to use them in genealogy or local history research. I created a handout with quotes and search tips. I felt I did a good job.

Today an older, stooping gentleman with grey hair and glasses came up to the Reference Desk. He looked familiar.

Gent: "Hello!"

Bethany the Librarian: "Hi!"

Gent: "That class in the Long Island room was really great."

Bethany the Librarian: "Oh! I'm glad you liked it. I had a lot of fun."

Gent: "And you had really great shoes on. They were kinda pink .... and pointy."

Bethany the Librarian: (Surprised). "Oh. Um. Yes, pink and pointy. Those are good shoes."

Gent: "Yeah!! They were really nice! I like nice shoes!"

Bethany the Librarian: (Getting up from behind the Reference Desk) "Did you see THESE? I got them in London!"

2 comments:

Cathy W said...

What a great story about making a difference. We all should try and make a difference for someone each day. And I certainly agree your shoes are GREAT ! I wish I had been in London to purchase a pair myself. One can never have enough shoes.

Cathy W.

Unknown said...

Shoe fetish, anyone?